CURRENT FOOD CRAVING: medium rare rib-eye steak... [Sunday, February 9, 2014, 10:51 p.m.]

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Post-Workout Snack

Meal: snack (Tue 9/14)
From: Target
Cost: around $0.50
Location: Queens

After getting home from the gym I realized that: (1) I was starving; (2) it would probably take me a good 45 minutes to an hour to make dinner. Therefore, I decided to eat a protein bar. I purchased three 4-packs of these bars a few months ago. I think normally they sell for around $2 a bar (if you buy in bulk). They were on sale at target for about $2 for a 4-pack (actually on the discounted items rack, I think because some of the boxes were crushed), so I purchased as many as they had on the shelf (3). I do not think protein bars and protein powder are very healthy. There was a time where I used to religiously use protein powder after workouts, but I do not want to murder my kidneys anymore.

I got the 'Lite' kind so it is slightly more 'healthy'.

There is a lot of chocolate in this bar...

Taste: it does not taste that good, but it has chocolate and I was starving, so it was acceptable.
Conclusion: it is the common belief that you need to consume protein within 30 minutes of lifting weights to maximize muscle development. I have no idea whether this is true or not (at least the Myoplex commercials claim this). But I do find that I am very hungry after I workout. I am trying to be healthier and not take all kinds of crazy supplements/proteins. I'll take a piece of chicken over a protein bar any day!

Drink: a nice glass of skim milk to wash down all that chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment